Monday, October 14, 2013

More UV


I had a pretty good fishing week this week. 

I started off the week with a short trip to rocky ford during my sisters volleyball practice. 

I noticed that the water had gotten higher. Because of the shutdown, the Army Corps of Engineers won't update their website, so we don't know how high the water is or what the output of the tubes is. But I do know that more water is a good thing, so I headed straight to the waterfall. Before long, I hooked a 16 inch wiper on the oh-so-great Storm UV lure. 
 This fish really impressed me, because normally the wiper are much smaller than this. As I kept going I had another hit. This one hit really hard and fought me for several minutes. I was amazed at how big he was- 19 inches. I have only caught one wiper that was larger- a twenty incher that I caught earlier this year. I hooked into another fish and assumed that it was another huge wiper, but it was just a 39 inch gar (aw man).So I was pretty pumped at this point and I was ready to go out again.


My grandparents had a trip planned this weekend to stay at the river-pond in their camper. My mom let me take Friday off from school so that I could fish during this time.

I went again to rocky ford on Friday and immediately tried the waterfall again- or I would have if it wasn't crowded. I started downstream and started getting some success, but I couldn't catch anything really good. When there was an opening, I quickly jumped on it and started fishing. I then hooked into a wiper which felt bigger than the others. After a five minute fight, I pulled it up and saw that it was much bigger than anything I had ever seen before. It was 23 inches long, making it the biggest sportfish I have ever caught. I kept on casting and soon had another 19 incher, but the bite just quit after that. I moved downstream and had some success before leaving.
 I went again the next day and was instantly onto the bite, meaning that I had three 20+ inch wiper in the first hour. But the same thing happened again- the fish stopped. I only had one more fish after that, a 14 inch drum (yay).

I had one more opportunity on Sunday. This time the waterfall was taken so I tried downstream. I had a good sized saugeye in the first few casts, and I eventually ended up catching a little drum, but I really wanted another shot at the waterfall. I made my way back and found the position open. On the first cast I had a 14 inch wiper (that would-on any other day-be a great fish), but I wanted more. I hooked into "more"( a 19 inch wiper)  and found myself the center of attention among many of the people there. Once again, after that the bite just stopped and the only other fish I caught was a 37 inch gar.

All of the fish mentioned in this post were caught either on an orange Storm Smash Shad or a green Rapala Shad-Rap, both of witch have the special UV paint.

So it looks like as long as the UV paint doesn't cost more, I will continue to use it.

P.S. I didn't reveal a lot of information on HOW I fished the lures, just THAT I used them. The detailed information will be revealed as soon as my fishing show airs on ESPN. (because that will totally happen)

1 comment: