Sunday, November 10, 2013

Not really any fishing

This time I really didn't make it, not a single trip. (what a loser)

Well anyway, I have no material, except for my mind. I will now try to recollect a fishing trip of trips past.

The date was 5/11/12, and I went fishing. It was a morning-style fishing trip, a trip that is now rare. I was fishing at Rocky Ford with my former youth minister, Craig Patrick, along with Mattias Brouk and also some Brandon guy. It was in the spring during a high water period, and the water was just warming up.

I had a new set of spoons from China (from Wlure.com [this is not an ad {I am not getting paid <maybe I should get paid>}]). So yeah, anyway I wanted to try them out, but I knew that a little minnow-crankbait had been working pretty well recently. So I tried using a small square-billed crankbait that I had never caught anything on. Before long, I was snagged to a 35 inch gar that I brought back to show the others. They were all like "Oh, that's cool." So then I went back to where I caught the gar- across ten inch deep water. They must not have wanted to get their feet wet. So I started casting again and soon had a 12 inch white bass. I kept fishing and had a 16 inch channel catfish in a matter of seconds.

Then something happened. I caught the first walleye of the day. This is significant because I had caught only a few walleye before this time and none so far that year. The walleye encouraged me, so I kept fishing and quickly had another white bass, this one was 13 inches. I kept casting in the exact same area and saw that there were hundreds of white bass and other predators attacking a huge school of baitfish only a few yards out in the rapids. I cast again but the lure got caught up in the line and could not dive until I retrieved and untangled it. Just as the lure came over the fish, it was hit- and missed. I then decided to intentionally tangle the hook and let the crainkbait twist and skim across the surface. The results were pretty good, as I hooked an 11 inch white bass that was to be the 100th fish of the year. The area I was fishing had super-fast rapids that ran over a section of rocks and then sharply dove four feet deep. I started casting right over the rocks to let the lure float over them and then pulling hard to make the lure dive once it cleared the cliff. The results were spectacular. I started catching walleye, first one 14 inches, and then I started catching BIGGER walleye. I caught a fish that was 18 inches long, by far the biggest walleye of my life. I kept getting hit after hit- 10 inch walleye, 16 inch walleye, even a little baby catfish.

Momentum was going in my favor, so I switched the crankbait out for one of the new spoons. I had success by just letting it sink until I felt a hit- the water was much too fast to reel it in if I wanted it to get deep enough for fish to see it. I caught three decent-sized white bass before switching back to my now-favorite crankbait. I was totally going to catch like twenty fish, but instead I lost it on a rock. So then I realized that it was getting a little late and the other guys might want to go or something. When I got back over to were they were fishing I learned that they had collectively caught one fish. I also learned that I should not have tried using that spoon again, because I lost it a little- on a rock- in a place that I knew had lots of rocks.

I later found out that all of the fish I was catching were all on their spawning runs. Later that spring, I caught at least three big channel catfish, including one that was 27 inches, and caught dozens of white bass and wiper. This trip was the first trip that I actually used crainkbaits, and I found out that they work really well. I also learned that sometimes there are fish piled up in one area that you may need to ford rivers to find, and also you should do whatever I say if you want to catch fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment