Sunday, November 3, 2013

Post About Fishing

"Another week- another trip!"

Someone said that I bet.

Oh boy! more fishing- this week was better than last (I promise). This week was the last week of football, and I scored the game winning touchdown!(not really- we got blown out) So I now have more time on my hands to fish and do other un-athletic things.

The day of the trip was the day that K-State played Iowa State. With K-State in such a precarious position, this guy needs to help the team out by watching the first half of the game- and by wearing a groovy hat and jersey. So after a convincing first half of football, I went to Dick's with my dad and looked around for a little bit. I left the store with a new little crankbait that I will now refer to as the "Three-Dollar Crankbait". The day started off with me telling my dad how great the UV lures had been working on previous trips. I said that all I had to do was hold the lure in the same position for a few seconds right under me. After demonstrating for a few minutes, I got a little too aggressive and lost the lure. The trip suddenly cost five dollars in only a few minutes. So the next move for me was to use the Three Dollar Lure. I nearly lost that one on a rock only a few minutes later, so I got the brilliant idea to lower the budget.

When I fish, I leave my gear all at one place and take a box of jigs, pliers, and a handful of soft plastic grubs and minnows in my pocket. Over time I keep forgetting to take the plastics out of my pocket and they go through the wash and blend colors. On this day, I remembered to bring the forgotten plastics and I used one on a jighead. (this is only a $.60 value)

I noticed some of the fish in the pond-area were acting weird, so I started fishing that side. Before long, I had what seemed to be a snagged sucker. When I brought it up to the surface, I saw that it was a flathead catfish, and it was kinda big- 25 inches long.
This picture shows the flathead that I caught. It also shows my muscular frame and admirable fashion sense.

That was kinda exciting; it actually tied my record for largest flathead catfish. When I went to grab its mouth, it felt warm, this is generally not a good sign because it means that my fingers are about to freeze off. It also means that the weather is getting colder and the fishing season is closing in a little while. But the cold water is a plus for some fish species.

After the flathead was set free, I got a taste of cold-water Rocky Ford. I got an aggressive hit from a little spotted bass. They are probably one of my favorite fish to catch because they are a really rare and pretty fish.
The spotted bass and smallmouth bass rarely hit any time of year other than the periphery of the season because of their cold-water preferences.
 This picture shows the dividing walkway between a calm pond and the speeding rapids.

So here are the notes for the week:
1 You could lose five (nearly eight) dollars of fishing lures in ten minutes, or you could use a sixty cent lure for two hours and catch fish on it.
2 Now is the time to look for spotted bass and smallies at Rocky Ford
3 Every time I watch the first half of the football game at my house, K-State wins, you're welcome.

1 comment:

  1. New look on the blog! Your captions to your photos are quite funny. What do you do with your fish? Eat them, right? Do you fix it special for yourself or wait until there is enough to feed your whole family? Do they LIKE fish?

    ReplyDelete