Sunday, April 6, 2014

I got new line! (and a rod)

So as I have previously mentioned, I am a member of the North American Fishing Club, and because of it, I am able to test fishing gear through StuffStuff. I was selected to test some line a few weeks ago and it just arrived this week.

When the line got to me, I realized that I needed a reel to put it on (no duh). I have an Abu Garcia Cardinal SX20 that I didn't have a rod that could go with it. So I went to Dicks and found myself a Berkeley Amp rod that was in my budget. When I spooled the line, it seemed like it was pretty good line. It was Berkeley 100% Fluorocarbon line. The fluorocarbon line is designed to be better than mono in many different ways. The line is supposed to be stronger for its diameter than mono- and it is... by less than a hundredth of a millimeter. It is also supposed to have less memory than mono- this part is true. But the main selling point for fluorocarbon is the way that it reflects light. It is made to reflect light of the same wavelength that water does, and therefore become invisible when submerged. This line really works. You can see the line very well when it is above water, (in fact it looks identical to mono when it is out of the water) but when it goes under it virtually disappears.

I used it twice over the weekend and I did well both times.

The first trip was Saturday afternoon. As usual I went to the trout lake and took the kayak with me. I started out the day trying to combat the wind. The wind was blowing from the south and making it hard to keep a steady position. I was dual wielding with my new rod and my other new rod, and I moved with the wind all the way across the lake. When I reached the other side I cast both rods out to either side to try some trolling. Before I could even get my paddle in the water, I had a fish. When I pulled it in I was surprised to find that I had a white bass on my line. The fact that I had a white bass at this time of year and in that lake puzzled me. I guess the white bass are already coming out. Anyway, I could not catch any trout on the first trip around the lake. When I had finished making a loop around the whole lake I reached my dad at his spot, and I promptly caught the first trout of the day. I moved along the east side of the lake until I reached The northern bank again, and I caught two more fish. I moved out the that area when the wind started getting ridiculous and I reset at the bank near my dad. I went across the lake again except this time I was trolling both lures behind me. I was hit by a 13 inch trout right in front of a group of college students who weren't doing so well; I could see the flustration on their faces. I went the rest of the day getting plenty of bites but no more fish.

The Second trip was Sunday afternoon. This time I came alone because my dad let me take the truck to the lake on my own. The trip started out pretty smoothly and the wind was almost completely gone most of the time. This time I had less time in the day because I needed to get to youth group at six. I basically fished the same way as I did last time, except this time it started raining. I had a couple bites before and during the rain but they didn't pick up until the rain died down. I had my first fish near a fallen tree at the north end of the lake, and it was a jumper. I forgot where I left the stringer so I had to look for it while I was trying to reel in this fish. Eventually I found it and reeled the fish in. I moved to the east until I was in the very northeastern corner of the lake. I set to move back out when I got a hit from another very jumpy trout. I reeled this one in without any complications, but the same can't be said about many of the rest of the fish I hooked. All that I had the rest of the day was a 10 inch white bass even though I had a least five more bites. There was one fish towards the end that looked like a 17 inch largemouth, but it also escaped.

So to recap. I got sweet new line for free- a rod for a lot less free- and I caught some fish while kayaking from a kayak.
So pretty
 

No comments:

Post a Comment